The Student Work Zone, simply referred to as the Zone, offers academic support services, career exploration and health and wellness services to you as a UW-Fond du Lac student. The services are designed to enrich your student life academically, culturally, and socially and to ensure that you experience a nurturing learning environment while you are adjusting to the growing pains of college life. You can count on the Zone for helping you achieve academic, social, and personal success in and out of the classroom.
The Zone promotes active, cooperative, and experiential learning in a pleasant, friendly, and comfortable atmosphere to help you get the most out of your learning. Experienced and qualified staff provide enriching educational and social opportunities to help you make connections for learning. Experiencing and actively participating in real-world learning opportunities in an engaging and challenging learning environment is your road to academic success. Look at it this way: The skills that you acquire in the Zone are reliable traveling skills. These success skills will travel with you and become your personal guide as you navigate through the road bumps of your academic career.
You'll find no road construction in the Zone! Your visit will convince you that it is a welcoming and helpful place. Consider it your personalized learning and gathering site where everybody knows your name and, best of all, where the services are free to any currently enrolled student!
Reasons to Enter the Zone
- Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction - one-on-one or group
- Study Skills Assistance - organizational note-taking and listening-improvement skills
- Peer Mentoring - personalized one-on-one communication with a student
- Academic Learning Resources - personalized workshops and seminars designed to meet your academic needs
- Cultural Enrichment - activities and seminars to help you acknowledge and value diversity of all kinds, including but not limited to race, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability
- Services for Students with Disabilities - accommodations are provided
- Health and Wellness - offers avenues for physical, mental and relationship health. Staffed by professionals, the office provides quality information, health screenings and a chance to meet with a counselor just to talk. You can also visit the UW Colleges online wellness website which offers quality resources covering all aspects of wellness.
- Career Exploration - Jump start your career by exploring your major and potential career. Access our resources, seminars and career advising to get your questions answered
Enter the Zone If You...
- Are new to the UW-Fond du Lac campus
- Have been out of school for a few years and want to reconnect to academic life
- Need assistance in math, English or other subjects
- Need to develop better study skills
- Are unsure of your academic goals
- Want to meet other students to establish a study team, or just chat
- Want to get your GPA under construction
- Are undecided about a major
- Need career direction
- Would like to explore cultural enrichment activities and seminars to help you acknowledge and value diversity
- Need counseling and mental health services
- Would like to obtain wellness information
- Would like to explore bachelor's degree completion programs offered at UW-Fond du Lac
Work Zone Hours
Monday & Thursday: 10am - 5pm
Tuesday & Wednesday: 10am - 7:30pm
Friday: 10am - 2pm
The Zone is located in the Classroom building, second floor.
Academic Success Center
Career Exploration Center
Contact The Zone
, Work Zone Coordinator
Make Connections for Learning
Remember that tutoring services are free. The tutoring staff consists of faculty and qualified students. Tutors are available during designated hours with coverage primarily for writing, math, science, and business-oriented courses. You can check out the Zone's tutoring schedule posted on our web page and in hard copy format on message boards around campus.
Study skills counseling is free and important for students having difficulty with time management, exam preparation, controlling exam anxiety, note taking, or comprehension of reading materials.
The Zone also has a mini reference and resources section consisting of academic study guides and a selection of textbooks used in various classes.
Experience the Zone
Everyone is welcome and we know you'll like it here. We want you to experience the joys of learning in a relaxed and inviting atmosphere. That's why we've designed this place with you in mind. The students in the 'know' hang out here because it's the 'in' place to be. You'll quickly discover that the Zone is a supportive place that is dedicated to helping you succeed on a personal and academic level.